Admission as an International Student

To be admitted, international students must submit to Undergraduate Admissions in the Office of Enrollment Services: (1) the Undergraduate Admissions and Scholarship Application; (2) official high school transcript with an English translation when applicable; (3) evidence of proficiency in the English language as demonstrated by a minimum score of 500 (or 61 on the new system) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), a minimum score of 5.0 on the IELTS, a minimum score of 82 on the Michigan Test of English Language Proficiency, sufficient ACT or SAT scores, or have completed at least 24 hours from a college or university in the United States; (4) official verification of financial resources; and (5) a one-time $30 undergraduate application processing fee. ACT or SAT scores are required for international students graduating from a U.S. high school. International students who submit ACT or SAT scores will have their scores reviewed to determine admissibility. International students should apply at least four months before the semester or term of enrollment.

To assist in the proper placement of students in the areas of English, mathematics, science and social studies, all entering international students will have a hold placed on their account which will prevent course registration.

In order to have the course registration hold lifted:

  1. Applicants with ACT or SAT test must have scores that meet the subject area minimum requirements found at
  2. Applicants who have not taken the ACT or SAT test or those who have scores but have scored below the minimum required in the subject areas will take placement tests to determine the classes for which they should enroll. Entering transfer students may be asked to take the appropriate placement test to ensure proper course placement. For further information about placement testing please contact University Assessment and Testing, 606-783-2526 or

Students transferring to the University, must submit: (1) the Undergraduate Admissions and Scholarship Application; (2) all official transcripts from institutions from which they are transferring; (3) official verification of financial resources; and (4) a one-time $30 undergraduate application processing fee; (5) depending on your particular situation, you may be asked to provide additional documentation. Students transferring to the university from an institution of higher education in the United States, must submit the Morehead State University transfer form available from the Office of International Student Services.

International transfer students with fewer than 24 attempted credit hours will be subject to the same admission criteria as that of an entering international freshman. In addition, any previous college work will be given consideration in the admission process, and any student with a GPA lower than 2.0 on a 4.0 scale will be denied admission. Federal regulations prohibit the issuance of a Form I-20 based on conditional admission. Since students who are admitted on appeal are conditionally admitted, international students cannot appeal an admission denial.

Transfer of Credits

Students seeking transfer credit from an international college or university should have that institution send an official transcript to Morehead State University. In addition, the student should have his or her transcript officially evaluated by the World Education Services (WES), and have a copy of the official evaluation sent from WES to Morehead State University. It is the student’s responsibility to contact WES and pay all service fees associated with such transactions.