Types of Admission

Students may be admitted to the Graduate School in any one of several categories:

  1. Unconditionally — a student who meets the requirements for both general admission to graduate study, and for a particular program. A copy of the teaching certificate is also required for education students wishing to obtain a change in rank or to pursue additional certifications. Students are permitted to pursue coursework outlined on their program evaluations but are not permitted to take more than 12 hours of coursework outside the program to which they are admitted. Departments may drop students from unapproved courses.
  2. Conditionally — a student who meets the general requirements for admission to graduate study but fails to satisfy one or more of the special requirements for admission to a particular program. This is a temporary classification and must be changed as soon as the specified conditions are satisfied. Most graduate students will be limited to 12 graduate credit hours unless they are unconditionally admitted to a graduate program.
  3. Unclassified — a student who meets the requirements for admission to graduate study, but does not wish to work toward a graduate program. Students admitted as unclassified will not be permitted to take more than 12 hours in any one program. Students should note that no more than 12 credit hours of graduate credit earned as an unclassified student may later be applied toward a program upon admission to that program, and only then at the discretion of the advisor and the graduate dean.
  4. Attempt to Qualify — a student whose undergraduate GPA is below 2.5, and has met the testing requirement and/or other entrance requirement. A student so admitted, after completing a maximum of 12 credit hours of graduate work with at least a GPA of 3.0, may be considered for admission to a degree program.
  5. Non-degree Program — a student who wishes to do a planned graduate program that leads to renewal or additional certification but not to a degree. Prerequisites are a baccalaureate degree and a teaching certificate. The student must also meet program admission requirements.
  6. Visiting Student — a student who has been admitted to a graduate program at another institution. Such a student may enroll at Morehead State University by submitting an application as a visiting student and paying the $30 application processing fee. The graduate dean or registrar will certify that the student is in good standing and has permission to enroll for graduate work. A student can opt to submit an official transcript in lieu of the letter of good standing.
  7. Early Graduate School — a Morehead State University undergraduate student who has completed 90 or more credit hours toward the completion of the baccalaureate degree may be considered for undergraduate concurrent admission to the Graduate School to enroll in graduate coursework. To be eligible for undergraduate concurrent admission, the student must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 at the time of admission and not be registered for more than 15 total hours. Students may earn a maximum of 12 graduate credit hours while holding undergraduate concurrent admission status.

    The student must maintain a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.0 and a graduate GPA of at least 3.0 to continue in the Early Graduate School program. If the student drops below the 3.0 minimum GPA, he or she will not be allowed to continue in the program. 

    An application for Early Graduate School and an application for admission to the Graduate School for the specific program of interest should be initiated by the student. Admission to the Early Graduate School and the specific graduate program must be approved by the graduate dean and the program specific department representative. To be admitted to Early Graduate School, the student must be conditionally or unconditionally admitted to the specific graduate program to which they applied. A new Early Graduate School application must be completed and approved for each semester of graduate study as an Early Graduate School student.

    Students who are enrolled in both undergraduate and graduate coursework may receive an adjustment to their financial aid. It is the responsibility of the student to contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine what changes may occur.

Note: Due to immigration regulations, international students are not permitted participation in Early Graduate School.