Advising and Programs of Study

Students who are approved for unconditional entry into a music major or minor program must declare their intended program of study. A student who is not ready for entry into a music program may enroll in the prescribed music courses on a probationary basis until performance standards are met. These performance standards must be met by the end of the first academic year of enrollment. Students receive their initial program advising by the associate dean of the School of Creative Arts and thereafter by their private applied instructor. Students wishing to choose a different music degree program or principal applied area of study must receive departmental approval. The appropriate members of the music faculty, in consultation with the chair, determine the student's eligibility and suitability for the change and which previously earned credits, if any, apply to the new program of study.