Veteran's Benefits

Applying for Veteran's Education Benefits

Eligible veterans (G.I. Bill) and/or eligible children, and spouses of veterans who died or were permanently and totally disabled as the result of service in U.S. Armed Forces (V.A. benefits program) may apply for education benefits. Eligibility is determined by the V.A. For information and application forms, contact Veterans Administration Regional Office, P.O. Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63166-6830, telephone toll free 1-888-442-4551 or apply for benefits at

For additional information, contact Joey Bryant, school certifying official, in the Office of the Registrar, 201 Ginger Hall, 606-783-2878 or:

Eligibility for Veteran's Benefits

You are eligible for benefits if your military service places you in one of the following chapters:

  • Chapter 30 — Montgomery G.I. Bill for active duty veterans.
  • Chapter 31 — Vocational rehabilitation benefits for disabled veterans.
  • Chapter 33 — Post 9/11 G.I. Bill for active duty veterans, implemented August 1, 2009.
  • Chapter 1606 — Provides benefits to students participating in the National Guard and/or Reserves.
  • Chapter 1607 — Educational assistance for reserve component members supporting contingency operations and certain other operations. Also referred to as REAP.

LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center

The LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center, located in 304 Breckinridge Hall, was established to build on the University’s continued efforts of providing MSU’s military and veteran students with the service, support and assistance they have earned. The goal is to eliminate obstacles and ensure that our veterans transition to college with greater ease.

The center will assist prospective and current student-veterans by providing counseling and direction on all educational benefits, as well as enrollment and registration assistance, counseling resources and referrals, and academic and career assistance. In addition, the center may be used for student veterans to study, relax and reconnect with their fellow student-veterans.

The center will be open Monday-Friday, from 8 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. It is equipped with study tables, computer, refrigerator, microwave, couches, recliners and a flat-screen television. The center is also an approved study area for provisional student-veterans on academic probation. For more information on the LTC Alan R. Baldwin Veterans Center, contact Jill McBride, student veteran advocate, at, 606-783-5226 or Joey Bryant, school certifying official, at, 606-783-2878.

Military Credit

Morehead State University awards military credits in accordance with the American Council on Education (ACE) guidelines using the Joint Service Transcript (JST - Military credit will be awarded after careful analysis by academic departments to determine the comparability of the learning outcomes of the military course and the course at the University for which credit is being sought.

Military Occupational Specialty and Other Military Credit

When a service member presents documentation of Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) or other military credit to the registrar and requests Morehead State University credit, the registrar will route the request to the department chair of the service member's program of study for evaluation, and an equivalency list will be established.


The University Undergraduate Curriculum Committee will review the procedure annually and recommend changes to the provost and vice president for academic affairs.

Residency Requirements:

Academic residency requirements will be up to 50% of the undergraduate degree program for service members.