Financial Aid


Repayment is normally not required for the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) or College Access Program Grant (CAP). To be considered for these grants, you must complete the FAFSA at

  • Federal Pell Grant: A federally-funded program; eligibility and amount are determined by a standard financial needs analysis formula.
  • Federal SEOG: A federally-subsidized award based on need.
  • CAP Grant: A state program based on need.

Work-Study Programs

The work-study programs provide work in a variety of offices and departments at the University. Students may apply for open positions by submitting an application and resume on JobLink at

  • Federal Work-Study Program (FWSP): A federally-subsidized program based on need.
  • Institutional Work-Study Program (IWSP): Sponsored by the University, this program is geared to students with specific skills, talents or experience.


Loans must be repaid, and are available in differing amounts and under varying conditions. Types are Federal Perkins Loan, Federal Direct Loan, Federal Direct Plus Loan, and the Emergency Loan Fund.

  • Federal Perkins Loan: A federally-subsidized program based on financial need and available funds.
  • Federal Direct Stafford Loan: Allows students to borrow money directly through the institution. These loans may be need-based (subsidized) or non-need based (unsubsidized). Students must be enrolled in at least six credit hours.
  • Federal Direct PLUS Loan: Allows parents and/or stepparents of dependent undergraduate students to borrow money for student educational expenses.
  • Emergency Loan Fund: Administered by the Office of the Financial Aid, this fund assists students in emergency situations. Students may borrow small amounts on a short-term, no-interest basis, depending on funds available. Apply in person to the Office of Financial Aid in Enrollment Services.


Entitlement programs include Veterans Administration Educational Assistance G.I. Bill and benefits for veterans' dependents, tuition waiver for dependents of Kentucky veterans, and Vocational Rehabilitation Assistance.

  • Veterans Administration (V.A.) Educational Assistance: Eligible veterans (G.I. Bill) and/or eligible children, wives and spouses of veterans who died or were permanently and totally disabled as the result of service in U.S. Armed Forces (V.A. benefits program) may apply for education benefits.Eligibility is determined by the V.A. For information and application forms, contact Veterans Administration Regional Office, P.O. Box 66830, St. Louis, MO 63166-6830,  (toll-free) 1-888-442-4551 or apply at
  • Tuition Waiver for Dependents of Kentucky Veterans, Police Officers, Firefighters or Volunteer Firefighters: A waiver of tuition for eligible dependents (children, spouses, widows) of totally disabled or deceased Kentucky war veterans, police officers, firefighters or volunteer firefighters, who died or were permanently and totally disabled as a result of services in the U.S. Armed Forces, Kentucky law enforcement agencies, as a firefighter, or volunteer firefighter. For information, call the Office of Enrollment Services at 606-783-2000.
  • Vocational Rehabilitation: Eligible individuals with physical or emotional disabilities may qualify for education benefits. Eligibility is determined by the Vocational Rehabilitation Service in the student's community. Students already enrolled at the University should contact the Vocational Rehabilitation Office, 200-32 South, #4, Morehead, KY 40351, 606-783-1527.
  • Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps Subsistence Allowance: Eligible individuals enrolled in advanced military science classes may qualify for education benefits that consists of a tax-free allowance of $300-$500 per school month. Contact the Professor of Military Science, MSU, 306 Button Auditorium, Morehead, KY 40351, 606-783-2050.

For additional information pertaining to all financial aid programs, visit: