Academic Grievance Procedure

When a student has an academic dispute with a faculty member over a grade, there are procedures that exist to resolve the complaint in the most satisfactory way for both the student and faculty member. If the complaint involves a final grade, the student must take the complaint to the faculty member within the first two weeks of the beginning of the following semester. This policy requires several steps to complete the process. The entire policy that outlines the process along with forms that must be completed, may be found at:

An electronic or hard copy of the policy may be obtained by calling the Graduate School at 606-783-2039 if you are unable to review it electronically.